Thursday, February 18, 2010

Blueberry-Lemon Bundt Cake

Here’s a recipe for a bundt cake that’s great for breakfast, dessert, or anytime! It's nothing fancy, just simple goodness with the perfect flavor combo that my family enjoys.

I love blueberries, by the handful, with yogurt or baked in a bundt cake. You know blueberries are rich in Vitamins A, C, E and beta-carotene as well as rich in the minerals potassium, manganese and magnesium. Also, they are very high in fiber and low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium.

When you eat a piece or two of this awesome, moist, delicious, blueberry lemon bundt cake don't worry about the sugar, butter or sour cream because it has these healthy blueberries in it! You see, it's healthy, wink, wink ;). 



Our boston terrier Spike seeing what smells so good! Gotta love it...




Blueberry-Lemon Bundt Cake
Everyday Food - Issue 5, September 2003

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 teaspoon for blueberries and zest
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
2 cups blueberries, I used frozen and tossed them in the flour. Keep frozen till you fold them in to batter.
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest, I used 2 teaspoons lemon extract
nonstick cooking spray, for pan
confectioners’ sugar, for dusting (optional)



1.Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, whisk 2 1/2 cups flour with baking powder and salt; set aside.

2.In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars on high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of sour cream.

3.In a bowl, toss blueberries and zest with remaining teaspoon flour; gently fold into batter. Coat a 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan with cooking spray. Spread batter in prepared pan.

4.Bake cake on bottom rack of oven until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Invert onto a rack; cool completely, top side up. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.

Notes: Tossing the zest and the berries with some flour will help keep the fruit suspended in the batter while it cooks. For best results, coat the inside of the Bundt pan with cooking spray just before filling it with the batter to prevent it from pooling in the bottom.






Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I am a fan of blueberries as well, especially in a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love lemons...love blueberries. Making this asap...my kids will go nuts! I just have to stay away from it...sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy!
    Hi, I am following from friday follow!I am following you!
    Stop by and visit me at,
    http://www.smartandtrendymoms.com/
    http://rockincupcake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I have a recipe for a banana-blueberry bundt that I keep putting off making. This one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh this looks SO tasty! If I can remember long enough I MUST make this over the weekend!!

    I'm a new follower from Friday Follow!

    Suzi from
    www.confessionsofafitnessinstructor.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love how many blueberries you have in there. lemon and blueberries are a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Some love for the lowly bundt cake!! This looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woman, not only are your recipes great, but your photos are fabulous.
    I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep..I see your point..it is a totally healthy cake with all of those blueberries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds and looks so yummy!

    I'm following you from Friday Follow!
    Heather
    http://www.ratherbechangingdiapers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi There! I'm still hopping around Friday Follow reading great blogs! It's my first Friday Follow! Hope you can visit mine. I now follow and subscribe.

    Bridgette Groschen
    Groschen Goblins
    http://www.groschengoblins.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing Spikein the background! He's so cute!

    I can never get my berries to float. They sink faster than the titanic! :( Your bundt cake and berries look perfect.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's in the oven now, I'll let you know how it turns out. I added 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice to the batter and used real lemon zest. I love the lemony flavor with the blueberries. SM NWIndiana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Turned out Beautiful. Moist and Delicious. This one is a keeper. Added a lemon glaze over top. Thanks Diana!!! Sandy NWIndiana

    ReplyDelete