Friday, February 26, 2010

Chicken and Dumpling Soup


Nothing is more comforting than some good southern cooking. So what is good southern cooking? A pot of chicken and dumpling soup. The delicious creamy soup is full of hearty chicken and vegetables, and a light fluffy cloud of a dumpling that is so good and satisfying.

I tend to make a big pot of chicken and dumplings so that we have leftovers. As with most soups, it is so much better the next day. If you are looking for a soup to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, then here you go. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

It's Friday night and it's cold outside! So we are in for the night watching The Harlem Globetrotters with my son, then my hubby and I will watch Couples Retreat with Vince Vaughn. A good night in the making.

Chicken and Dumpling Soup = a big ol hug wrapped in a big ol blanket!



Chicken and Dumpling Soup
adapted from Taste of the South

2 Cups cooked chicken, (shredded) you can use more or less, it's all up to you
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 Cups chopped onion
3 Cups peeled and chopped carrot
2 Cups chopped celery
2 tsp. minced garlic
3 (32-ounce) containers low sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
3 tsp. dried parsley

Dumpling:
2 cups cake flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 Cups heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

In a dutch oven melt 1 Tbsp. butter over medium heat, add onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, approximately 12 minutes. Add 2 1/2 tsp. thyme, 3 tsp. parsley and chicken broth stir well. Bring to a simmer. Cook until soup has reduced slightly, approximately 40 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine cake flour, 1 1/2 tsp. parsley, baking powder, salt, and pepper, whisking to blend. Add cream and melted butter, stirring until combined.

Bring soup to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Drop dough into soup by heaping tablespoonfuls. Cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through, approximately 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Yum...now this looks like a perfect soup to eat on a cold night like tonight. I am obcessed with soups lately...another good recipe to add to the pile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello fellow Texan. Your recipes sound awesome, and I can't wait to try the chicken and dumpling soup and many others. Thank you for sharing your creations. I am jealous of your snow pictures. I live in the Coastal Bend area (near Corpus Christi), and I never get to see snow (except for Christmas Day 2004).

    ReplyDelete
  3. pure comfort indeed! i love chicken and dumplings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good. I could use a big ole bowl of comfort food about now. I love all of your recipes. You cook alot like I do. Maybe its a southern thing.
    I left something for you on my blog, stop by when you get a chance.

    http://busymom-adventuresinmommyville.blogspot.com/2010/02/best-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HAVE TO TRY THOSE DUMPLINGS!
    I hate missing even one of your posts - you totally rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my family would love this! Looks ever so good - thanks for sharing!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. That really does look like a hug in a bowl! I must make this soon while the weather is still chilly.

    -Jenniffer
    http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree more about the comfort factor of a soup like this! :) After a lot of warm weather, today is the first day of Autumn and it's cool so this is what I'm hankering for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is right up my alley! I love cozy soups!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't made Chicken and Dumpling soup in such a long time. It might just make the menu this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my favorite meals,and we must be thinking alike...I posted about chicken and dumplings too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just made chicken and dumplings for the first time tonight. It was really good.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete