Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls, Four Hours Later

Friday I decided I would make cinnamon rolls for my son and his two friends spending the night. I was so excited I had everything we needed and had read and reread the recipe. When it comes to cooking I'm pretty confident. I can bake, cook and make pretty much everything out there. I can bake breads, biscuits, rolls you name it!  Not a problem.  But, when it comes to cinnamon rolls, it's another story.  

I started out Saturday morning with the Ultimate Cinnamon Roll recipe by Cook's Illustrated. Well, LONG story short, it was a flop and soooo time consuming.  I was convinced they would be the Ultimate Cinnamon Roll! I did everything by the book or so I thought.  The dough didn't rise at all. Nothing! It was tough and blah. I was so upset, but was not defeated. I whipped out another recipe and looked at the clock and knew I had to feed these three boys soon! They had already let me know they were hungry so I suggested they eat a banana and some yogurt, because we were going to have some delish cinnamon rolls soon. Poor boys, I sent them outside to play and tried so hard to keep them distracted so the hunger pains didn't kick in...

The Pioneer Women's Cinnamon Roll recipe came to my rescue. It was simple! I was very impressed with the ease of making this dough. I did however, use a different filling and glaze. As soon as I smelled the cinnamon creep from the oven, I knew that I did good. The cinnamon rolls turned out really nice. So four hours after this project started, I finally had cinnamon rolls on the table.  The boy's loved them and so did my husband. I enjoyed them as well.  However, I did note to add less sugar next time.  FYI, this recipe makes a lot so I cut the recipe in half.  Even halved, the recipe made about 14 cinnamon rolls.

I am not sure where I went wrong with the Ultimate Cinnamon Roll, but maybe next time I feel like making them, I can give it another try.  If you have a cinnamon roll recipe that you want to share please do as I would greatly appreciate it. 





Mmmmm, sweet white icing across the top of this cinnamon roll, covering pockets of delicious cinnamon that rests on a real soft bread which is homemade goodness.



Cinnamon Rolls
adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cookbook

1 quart Whole Milk
1 cup Vegetable Oil
1 cup Sugar
2 packages Active Dry Yeast
8 cups (Plus 1 Cup Extra, Separated) All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
1 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon (heaping) Salt

Filling
1 1/2 Cups Light Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons Ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Salt
4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, room temp.

Glaze
1 1/3 Cups Powder Sugar
1/2 - 1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Milk


Mix the milk, vegetable oil and sugar in a pan. “Scald” the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point). Turn off heat and leave to cool to lukewarm. When the mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in both packages of Active Dry Yeast. Let this sit for a minute. Then add 8 cups of all-purpose flour. Stir mixture together. Cover and let rise for at least an hour.

After rising for at least an hour, add 1 more cup of flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture together. (At this point, you could cover the dough and put it in the fridge until you need it – overnight or even a day or two, if necessary. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to overflow out of the pan, just push it down).

When ready to prepare rolls: Sprinkle rolling surface generously with flour. Take half the dough and form a rough rectangle. Then roll the dough thin, maintaining a general rectangular shape. Spread the 4 Tablespoons butter over the dough. Now sprinkle the filling over the dough and cover evenly.
Now, starting at the opposite end, begin rolling the dough in a neat line toward you. Keep the roll relatively tight as you go. Next, pinch the seam of the roll to seal it.

Spread 1 tablespoon of melted butter in a 13X9 casserole pan & a pie pan. Then begin cutting the rolls approximately ¾ to 1 inch thick and laying them in the buttered pans.

 Let the rolls rise for 20 to 30 minutes, then bake at 375 degrees until light golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes. While the rolls are still hot drizzle the glaze over the top.



Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. That PW is the best :)
    Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey just stopping by to say Hi from Friday Follow!

    Happy Follow Friday!

    Tami
    www.heartsmakefamilies.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, i've never tried anything pw makes, but from what i understand, you just can't go wrong with her stuff. these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so tasty. I am so hungry now. It wasn't good idea to miss my lunch today,lol.

    Come over I have something for you.

    http://findingthepotofgold.blogspot.com/2010/02/its-award-time-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look sooo delicious! I need to try making these sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look incredibly scrumptious! I haven't had a lot of luck in the cinnamon roll dept. either. But these look like winners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have her book so I will have to give these a go. I am always up for a cinnamon roll and with being sick for a while now, I could use one of yours about now! I adore you new pic. You are one gorgeous lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her cinnamon rolls always look so yummy and yours look amazing-I'm glad to see a scaled down version though-the one she originally posted on her blog made a whole heap!

    The only cinnamon roll that I have ever attempted was the Pumpkin Cinnamon Swirls from King Arthur Flour-I liked them, but they didn't have a ton of pumpkin flavor.....

    Thank you for sharing this recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We seriously love cinnamon rolls. I have not tried the PW recipe even though I have the book..don;t they make like 40 or something? They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diana I'd trust Ree over Cook's any day! I need to make her cinnamon rolls. They look amazing.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog.... and I'm so excited I did! those cinnamon rolls look killer!!!! :)
    Can't wait to browse around!
    -MiniBaker

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Diana, Mom to Frank! I'm loving your cocina! But I espcially love your opening statement about cooking and art and science. Excellently put! Hope you'll find the time to visit me again. Love the connection. Take care, Keri (a.k.a. Sam)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmm, looks good! We're HUGE fans of anything cinnamon sugary and cinnamon rolls are right up there.

    I want to try PW's recipe. You know just yesterday I read a review of another dessert recipe of hers and the person said they needed to cut back on the sugar. I made her bread pudding and it was SOOO sweet that we couldn't eat it. Thanks for the heads up on the sugar part.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cinnamon rolls have been on my list of things I want to learn to make this year since my daughter loves them so much. Trying your recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look delicious. My son loves cinnamon rolls and asks for them every Saturday. I will add these to our menu. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete