Monday, February 8, 2010

Whoopie Pies The Red Velvet Way

You may want to scream WHOOPIE! When you try this scrumptious looking dessert. The red velvet cake is moist and tender with a hint of cocoa flavor and the middle goodness is delicious. I enjoyed baking these this evening and they are quick and easy. This recipe makes about 15 Whoopie pies so, if you feel thats not enough you can always double the recipe.

According to Amish legend, when children would find these treats in their lunch bags, they would shout "Whoopie!"    Interesting :).




Whoopie Pies The Red Velvet Way
makes about 15 pies
 
1/2 cup light brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8th teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon wilton red food coloring gel or add till desired color

Middle goodness:
2 ounces cream cheese, room temp. or 2 ounces of mascarpone ♥ cheese, room temp.
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2-2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk, I used a little less
1 teaspoon vanilla
scant of salt

Pre heat oven to 375.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In bowl cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Whisk in the egg and salt until smooth, then buttermilk. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add the red food coloring gel and mix well.

Spoon batter in 1- or 2-inch diameter rounds, about 1/2-inch high on prepared baking sheets, allowing 1 inch between each round. I used a small 1 teaspoon scoop.

Bake in the middle of the oven at 375F for 7-9 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

To make the middle goodness, whisk together the cream cheese/mascarpone, milk, vanilla, salt and butter. Then add the confectioners' sugar and mix till frosting is smooth. Chill middle goodness in refrigerator for about 20 minutes. When the pies are completely cooled, spoon a heaping teaspoon of filling per two halves to finish the pies.




Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. OOOOHHHHH! My mom always made the chocolate ones!
    (having a childhood sugar fit)
    Never had the red velvet! I'll have to try those ... ::giddy:::
    Can't wait!

    BTW: That Milky Way cake rocked. I'm totally going to re-create it into a killer amuse bouche for my next cater.
    ( I added more milk to the icing and also a bit of dark chocolate. The flavor really popped. I also replaced some of the milk in the cake with coconut rum I had leftover from a trip to the Bahamas. - AMAZING. You totally rock)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so delicious. My boys would go Whoopie if they found these in their lunchbox, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I love the little history of where the name came from. That is too cute. These look scrumptious and my hubby would flip for these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so cute and delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look great! I have never made whoopie pies, but you are tempting me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are beautiful. The whoopie pies look great. There has been a big debate in my neck of the woods about red velvet cake and its appeal..personally I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would shout Whoopie for these! How fun - great idea.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. What cute little cakes! I could gobble those right up. I bet their divine with that filling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog! Your stuff looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sooooo delicious looking! Im about to attempt making whoopie pies aswell..they are so darn cute..lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I MUST make these! Valentines Day is such a good excuse to make anything red velvet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so going to make these soon! This is so the type of thing I would eat way too many of!

    I'm definitely following your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. when do you add the cream cheese/mascarpone cheese?

    ReplyDelete