Monday, March 1, 2010

Brown Butter Banana Cake with Toffee and Chocolate Chips

I just love the aroma of anything banana baking in my oven. When I found this recipe the other day, I knew I had to give it a try! It was everything I hoped it would be. Dense, moist, and incredible banana flavor. It is the perfect combination of banana, toffee, brown butter with a hint of chocolate, it is wonderful. I will definitely be making this again.

As you will read, I only added 1/4 cup chocolate chips (the original recipe calls for 2/3 cups chocolate chips). The reason is my husband and son are not fans of chocolate chips. They enjoy chocolate and such, however I haven't found a chocolate chip to suit their taste buds as of yet. Men, gotta love them!






The cake is incredibly moist and quite delicious!



Brown Butter Banana Cake with Toffee and Chocolate Chips
adapted from Fine Cooking Chocolate

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup finely mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
1&1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
1/2 teaspoon table salt
7 1/2 oz (1 2/3 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cup toffee bits
1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour a 10-cup tube or bundt pan. (I sprayed my pan well with cooking spray with flour and had no problems getting the cake out.)

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, cook it slowly, letting it bubble, until it smells nutty or like butterscotch and turns a deep golden hue, 5 to 10 minutes. If the butter splatters, reduce the heat to low. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the browned butter through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and discard the bits in the sieve. Let the butter cool until its warm rather than boiling hot, 5 to 10 minutes.

Using a whisk, stir the sugar and eggs into the butter. (Since the butter is quite warm, you can use cold eggs for this) Whisk until the mixture is smooth (the sugar may still be somewhat grainy), 30 to 60 seconds. Whisk in the mashed bananas, vanilla, and salt. Sift the flour and baking soda directly onto the batter. Pour the chocolate chips over the flour. Using a rubber spatula, fold just until the dry ingredients and the toffee and chocolate chips are combined.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly with the rubber spatula. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs clinging to it, 42 to 45 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 15 minutes then invert the cake onto the rack and remove the pan. Let cool until just warm and then serve immediately or wrap well in plastic and store at room temperature for up to five days.

Enjoy!

24 comments:

  1. I was moaning and groaning with delight when I saw this recipe. It looks wonderful. I wish my "men" didn't like chocolate chips. When they were growing up they would eat the stash in my baking closet and then when I went to bake some chocolate chip cookies or some such thing I had no chips! The grown up one wasn't much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always, I mean always, have ripe bananas hanging around just waiting for a cake or bread recipe. I'll be trying this one. Thanks for posting!!! Looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything banana as well and I love the toffee here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing banana cake! I love the addition of brown butter, so wonderfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooohh, this sounds wonderful! Bananas, chocolate chips, and toffee--all favorites of mine! We'll definitely be trying this one!
    Let's see...I have a get-together of women next Tuesday...
    Blessings,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing that grabs me the most is the browned butter! I love the flavor it gives! I wouldn't mind the lesser amount of chocolate chips myself. While I love chocolate, a little bit is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks completely perfect. I want a slice like nothing else right now! All these flavors are awesome, but combined, I can't even imagine how good this was!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a delicious way to start any morning off right - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um...applause please. That looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love anything banana too but the toffee takes this to a whole other level! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Toffee, chocolate, banana..are you kidding me...sweet torture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cake looks so moist I am so tempted

    ReplyDelete
  13. Banana, toffee and brown butter sounds like the perfect flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum. Both recipes look wonderful. I, like you, love the smell of banana cooking in my kitchen! Thanks again for joining us at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday this week. Hope you join us again.
    http://www.blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! Perfect ingredients for a delicious cake! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am always looking for new banana recipes. Love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a lovely banana dessert! i love the browned butter, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my goodness! This has Ingrid written ALL over it! I was about to comment on your eggrolls when I spotted the photo for this on link within. (Btw, your SW eggrolls look good, too!) I hadn't seen this recipe....thank you for passing it along!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a recipe that I should try. I love making banana bread and love your twist with the browned butter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So I'll have a Southwestern Egg Roll above and this for dessert:D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, this sounds and looks very delish! I'd love a slice with my cup of tea.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. T love banana cakes.I wish I had this right now. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'll definitely make this.

    ReplyDelete