Thursday, December 9, 2010

Crispy Orange Beef


As the temperature begins to cool in Texas, I find myself looking for a dish with a little flare. The soups have started coming out and the fireplace is ready for the first fire of the year. With all of the Holiday cheer in the air, I try to keep things a little on the light and healthy side as much as I can. This dish fits all of my criteria for a late fall dish that my family will just love. Laid upon a bed of white rice, Crispy Orange Beef is just what the doctor ordered. You can spice this dish up or down to suit your fancy. Personally, I like it hot and spicy. With the flavor combination of the orange zest, ginger and celery, on the crispy beef strips, this dish will satisfy all of your pallets desires. Since my picture does not do justice for this dish, you’ll just have to trust me that this dish is delicious.



Crispy Orange Beef

3 pounds flank steak, cut into this strips
1∕3 cup cornstarch
5 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons honey
3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1∕2 cup water
1/2 - 3/4 cup cooking oil
8 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1∕4 cup minced orange peel, pith removed
8 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
steamed rice, for serving
1 orange, thinly sliced, for garnish

Toss beef with cornstarch to evenly coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. In the meantime, in a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, tamari, hoisin sauce, honey, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and water. Set aside.

In a wok or heavy skillet, heat the canola oil. Fry the beef, in batches, until browned, about 3 minutes each batch. Remove and let drain on paper towels.

Drain all but 2 tablespoons oil from the wok. Heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic, ginger, orange peel, and scallions and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add the beef and stir in the sauce. Raise the heat to medium-high and stir until sauce thickens. Serve over steamed rice with the orange slices on top.


Enjoy
Recipe adapted from: The Comfort Table, Katie Lee

39 comments:

  1. its only 9 am and I could gobble this up! YUMM!
    -mini baker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photo has me wanting to give this a try and your words confirmed it! I do admit to thinking I might go with chicken instead of beef. Whenever I cook beef strips they always turn out tough.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yummy! this sounds so rich and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hello, reading the ingredient sure does have me craving this dish. Perfect to warm me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love hot and spicy and this sounds fabulous! I'm saving this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You read my mind. Bought the ingredients yesterday for a dress rehearsal cause we are having this Christmas Eve. Great recipe. We Texans do love it spicy, we are from New Braunfels.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dish = beef and orange - winter,flavorful, fun. I love when the south tells me about their cold.I think it's because I'm a wee bit jealous as I shiver and shake in MN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! I am so bookmarking this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow this looks amazing can I feature it on a FL citrus growers blog, need some savory recipes lol
    rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be perfect for dinner tonight. I was looking for some inspiration. The flavors sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been CRAVING chinese food lately but I hate buying takeout when I can just make it myself. This sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's 11:00 at night and I would love this for a bedtime snack.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my husband will go crazy over this - it looks very similar to crispy ginger beef and I will definitely be making this.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a perfect meal for a chilly night. I love the ginger and orange flavors in here. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds really delicious! I love crispy beef with a sweet sauce :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delicious recipe!!! Love the crispy beef! If you don't mind I'll eat this flavorful dish with steamed rice.! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks divine. the more spicier the better

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is exactly what I'm craving right now! YUM! I'm saving this one. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really have to try this. I love orange beef but can never get it crisp enough. This may be the solution. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love anything that resembles take out that you can make at home, and this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm really hungry right now (not the best time to be reading all my favorite food blogs!) and this sounds soooo good! Definitely will be trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of my favorite dishes! I have not made this in a while, but I will have too now...your right, great for cold weather and to maybe ward off the sniffles...

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks so flavorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. great dinner idea, yes texas is finally cooling off a bit and with citrus season in full swing..I am finding any reason to use oranges..thanks for sharing

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the spicy hot thing you have going here! This is a must try! I'm new here and so glad to find your blog. I'll be looking around. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A scrummy combination! That dish must be succulent.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds amazing! Love to combine something sweet to a savory dish.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your new profile photo, Diana!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  29. We usually use lemon instead of orange. Looks delicious. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Diana, thanks for visiting my blog earlier. You have a lovely blog here and love what you've been baking & cooking. Thanks for sharing such wonderful recipes. Hope to hear from you more often. Have a great day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum, this sounds fantastic! I love orange chicken, but have never actually had orange beef...so I'm adding it to my (very long) must-try list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Delicious! (It gets cool in Texas?)
    Cheers from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks delicious! And beautiful profile photo of yourself! I am jealous that it is just "beginning to cool in Texas". I am litterally freezing a few 100 miles north of you...thank goodness my computer radiates heat! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love all the ingredients in this dish. It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yum, can't get much better than this!!!! = ))

    ReplyDelete
  36. This looks utterly delicious. I love the combo of beef and orange. That and a bowl of rice, I am happy.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I could totally devour a bowl of this right now! It looks and sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete