Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Old Fashioned Gingerbread to Celebtrate My One Year Anniversary

The calendar on the wall tells me it has been a year since I started this blog. My, how the time flies, when your having fun. I started Diana’s Cocina this time last year with hopes of expanding and sharing my culinary vision with others who have similar interest and to have a little fun in the process. Surprising, I have received so much more than I had ever imagined. It has been such a joy to have a place to share my culinary experiences and to interact with others who love food and cooking the way I do. In addition to the basic satisfaction of sharing with others, I have also been delighted with the friends that I have made from all corners of the world and from all walks of life. It is you, my foodie friends that have made my first year, with Diana’s Cocina, a fun and rewarding adventure. Please join me as I venture into my second year with more exciting culinary fun and adventure. Thank you all for making my first year a huge success.


Ok, back to Back to Basics, or should I say from the book Back to Basics, I would like to share something that I really love. Old Fashion Gingerbread. The smell of this dense and ever so moist cake, that is full of flavor, is mesmerizing for me. Its dark pungent taste from the molasses and the warm spice from the crystallized ginger, just really gets me into the holiday spirit. This Old Fashion Gingerbread with its orange icing has rapidly become a family favorite. For a simple treat that is not too sweet, but has the robust flavors that are truly essential for this time of year, I think this is a real keeper. I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all.





Old Fashion Gingerbread

1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup unsulphured molasses
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup minced dried crystallized ginger (not in syrup)
Icing:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed orange juice
orange zest to taste


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 by 8-inch cake pan and line with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.

Place the butter and molasses in another small pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour the mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cool for 5 minutes, then mix in the sour cream and orange zest.

Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt together in a small bowl. Mix with your hands until combined. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the molasses mixture and mix only until smooth. Add them and crystallized ginger to the mixture with a spatula. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.

When the cake has cooled, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and orange juice and pour it onto the gingerbread, allowing it to drip down the sides, add orange zest on top of gingerbread to taste. Allow the glaze to set. Cut the gingerbread into 9 squares and enjoy.


Enjoy!
recipe adapted from: Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics

38 comments:

  1. I love gingerbread and this look fantastic and yummy Diana, and congrats by your Anniversary, you have a lovely and nice blog Diana, Have a lovely Christmas, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 1st Blog Anniversary! I am amazed everyday at the world that food blogging has opened up for me-the creativity and the friendship of fellow bloggers is amazing too. Looking forward to your 2nd year of blogging and many more.

    The gingerbread cake is stunning. Perfect for the holiday season.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first year, Diana! Your gingerbread looks amazingly good. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your first year of blogging! It seems like you have really been passionate about it and kept it going - something that's not easy to do! Keep up the wonderful cooking and posts coming!

    Also, your blog is exquisite :). Very straightforward and simple to read and follow. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 1 Year!

    I LOVE anything gingerbread as well. I recently just made gingerbread men cookies.. I can't stop eating them ;)

    Your gingerbread reminds me of the Starbuck's Holiday Gingerbread. I can't believe how moist it looks from the photos. Have a piece for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This gingerbread is the perfect way to celebrate your blogiversary. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old fashion gingerbread too! It's not Christmas time if I don't smell the aroma of cinnamon, ginger and cloves! Always conjures up images of happy moments on these special days! Thanks for making this! Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 1 year blogaversary! Lovely recipe to share, I love the topping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love ginger, esp. this time of the year! When comes to Christmas, I love things traditional and OLD FASHIONED! And your new profile picture looks so GOOD!
    Happy Blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy birthday to your blog and heres to many more wonderful years and great recipes
    Merry Christmas

    Hugs Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary to your blog! I'm looking forward to trying out this wonderful gingerbread recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happiest Anniversary to the blog! How time flies. It has been a pleasure getting to know you little by little and I wish you and the family a very Merry Christmas.
    Wow, that icing looks divine and the gingerbread looks perfectly moist. Awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy anniversary! and i love that new picture of you! this looks killer, i adore gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 1st Anniversary.

    I love gingerbread - just so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary, I absolutely adore this gingerbread especially with the addition of orange rind, so festive looking too! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So Good! and So Festive!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy first anniversary, Diana. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks fantastic. And thanks so much for stopping by to visit.

    I hope you and your family have a very happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Blogsoversary Diana! And may there be many, many more to come :D What a gorgeous gingerbread-it looks wonderfully dense and moist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy 1st Anniversary! I am proud of you for sharing your talent and ideas with others. You have so much to offer!! Love ya, sista!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy 1st blogiversary Diana. The first year is often tough with so much to learn, but the 2nd is a joy! You'll have so much fun.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy blogging anniversary!! I'm glad you had such an enjoyable first year . . . I'm about 6 months into my blogging experience, and it's been so much fun to 'meet' so many people.
    The recipe looks great--I'm a Barefoot Contessa believer, and your pictures are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on reaching one year with the blog and I wish you many many more to come! This gingerbread cake looks absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy 1 year to you!!! Heres to 10 more years!
    Merry Christmas to you

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Anniversary. I hope you'll be with us for years to come. Gingerbread is my favorite of the old fashioned desserts and your recipe sounds fantastic. I'll be giving this a try very soon. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Anniversary....and what a great way to celebrate..gingerbread is perfect for the holiday season, I love the icing..here's to many more years of bloggin!!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Anniversary! :)
    For some reason, I thought I was already a follower... I am now. Gingerbread is one of my favourites treats esp. for this time of the year. Yours looks so indulgent and delicious. Merry Christmas to you. Enjoy the holidays. Michael

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy 1 year!! I'm just about ready to have my 1 year too!
    Thanks for visiting my site..I'm glad you did because that led me to your site and everything I've seen on here looks delicious! Especially the gingerbread!! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy one year anniversary! That's quite an achievement! Gingerbread is a tried and true favorite...what a gorgeous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Diana-This gingerbread looks wonderful:)I am happy you stopped by my blog. I am following you now. I love your recipe:)
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wishing you a very happy 1st blog anniversary! I absolutely love gingerbread cake. This one does look fantastic and with just the perfect amount of frosting too. Yum!

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love that this is the real deal - the bread and not the cookie. It is indeed back to basics (wonderful basics) and almost retro! Moist and welcoming. I thought I was done baking but maybe not. Happy blogaversary! May the 2nd year be more fun than the first!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well yay! Happy Blogoversary :D Your gingerbread looks amazing...much like my favorite version except that mine uses lemon in place of your orange. Oh boy, I wish I had a slice of yours to try right this minute :D Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Diana, Happy anniversary!!! Cheers to many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Blogiversary! Hope you have another great year! The gingerbread looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations of completing a whole year of blogging! Wishing you continued success!
    Beautiful gingerbread cake.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations on your blogiversary! And what a lovely celebratory recipe to kick it off with! The orange zest is such a beautiful touch - thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  37. congrats on your one year!! cant wait to see what else you make this year!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am always a huge fan of gingerbread no matter what the season :)
    We are in our final week of Get Grillin' - Dessert is the theme and we would love if you submitted up to any 3 recipes (they don't have to be grilled) to our link up. This one would be perfect! This week we have a Rouxbe Cooking School giveaway. http://su.pr/2YaIiV

    ReplyDelete