Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Southwestern Egg Rolls

My dear friend Ginger introduced this recipe to me several years back. It is a really tasty recipe that I make by request from my son. I personally call them southwest burritos.  I know they are all over the blog world but, I still have to share. I may reach those few people that haven't seen them.

It’s actually low in fat, packed with a punch of flavor. Red bell pepper, spinach, corn, black beans, jalapeno, cilantro, sharp cheddar cheese, onion and south of the border spices wrapped in an organic tortilla. These are really easy to assemble and the best part is that you can assembled them ahead of time and bake before serving. Serve with your favorite guacamole.





 Absolutely delicious!



 Southwestern Egg Rolls

1 chicken breast, cooked & shredded 
salt & black pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons minced red bell pepper
2 Tablespoons onion
1/3 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 - 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 Tablespoos fresh jalapeno peppers, diced
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
Dash cayenne pepper
1/4 cup cilanto, or to taste
¾ cup grated cheese, I use sharp cheddar
1 pkg. organic flour tortilla

Place all ingredients in a bowl: red pepper, green onion, corn, black beans, spinach, jalapenos, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, cilantro, cheese, chicken. Mix well.

Spoon approx. ¼ cup of mixture into the center of a tortilla. Fold in the ends and then roll the tortilla over the mixture. Roll the tortilla very tightly, then pierce it with a toothpick to hold it together. Repeat with the remaining ingredients until you have several eggrolls. Cover the plate with plastic wrap and chill for an hour or two. You may chill the eggrolls overnight if you wish.

When you are ready to cook the eggrolls, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place eggrolls on lined cookie sheet and bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until surface browns and becomes crispy. Turn the eggrolls over about halfway through cooking time.

Let the eggrolls cool for a few minutes and then slice each one diagonally lengthwise and arrange on a plate. You can serve this with guacamole and your favorite cheese sauce. Makes about 10-12 eggrolls.

Heat a small pan with a little olive oil and 1 clove of garlic, minced and add drained black beans and smash them. You will have refried black beans to go with your incredible Southwest Egg Rolls.

Enjoy! 

18 comments:

  1. Yum Yum! These sound unbelievable. I so wish I had a plateful right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh yum this looks awesome! believe it or not I have never cook with spinach..I ahve issues with it..dates back to when I was a kid and was served a plate of that icky squishy stuff..but it doesnt have to be like that I know..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe!! I love southwestern egg rolls in restaurants, but I've never seen a recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! So great that they are baked and not fried. I am definitely going to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this looks fantastic! Since I have everything I need to make these, I'm making them for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diana! Those Southwestern eggrolls look so delish! I love that you didn't fry them.

    Thanks for coming by my blog. I'm following you now, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these and always order them when I am out to dinner if they offer them. Yours look delicious and remind me I need to make my own at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great! I love all the colors and awesome these are baked and not fried like others I have seen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are the best. At family gatherings we have to triple the batch. They are such a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow, how yummy! i will be making these in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks delicious!

    stopped by from MBC...

    justanightowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've seen these before. They are just packed with goodies! I love that they are baked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of Southwestern eggrolls - so much flavor and they sound so healthy too! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh this reminds me of a fabulous tappas place i went to in orlando. i had been meaning to make these forever and a day. wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh. I was going to comment on your migas when THESE caught my eye. I agree with you - I'd call them burritos too but then again it might be fun to make them small and call them SW Egg Rolls for a party or something. Every time I go to your blog I get inspired by something new. Keep 'em coming:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Personally I have trouble calling these rolls, more like wraps or burritos as you mentioned. Egg Rolls are something totally different to me. ☺

    ReplyDelete