Monday, May 3, 2010

Tortellini Summer Salad

I would like to start off by apologizing for my lack of communication and lack of posting recently. My schedule the past few weeks has been extremely busy. I would love to tell you that I have been out trying to save the world but, that's not the case. I have been the PTO President at my son's school for the past 5 years and serve as Chairperson on the School Board. Yes, I'm one of the Mom's that people run from when they see me coming. With these responsibilities, I oversee numerous functions at the school. With 25 days till school is out, the school calendar is jam-packed. Needless to say, things are going to get worse before they get better. But, I don’t think I would change a thing.

Now on to the good stuff! I know it is still spring, but this Tortellini Summer Salad is one of my favorites, regardless of the season. This pasta salad constitutes a meal without the need for many side dishes. A little fruit salad will make this a complete meal. It is tasty and delicious, with a pleasant tartness, from the lemon juice and red wine vinegar, which I just crave. I stand in front of the frig with my fork and chow down! I love this pasta salad!




Tortellini Summer Salad
Ginger's Cookbook

1 20 ounce package cheese tortellini
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1/4 Cup black olives
1/2 Cup olive oil
1/2 Cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon heaping crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 Cup crumbled feta cheese


Cook tortellini according to package. Set aside, allow to cool completely.

In large bowl with a lid, add above ingredients, except for the feta cheese; simply toss the ingredients together till combined. Chill overnight then stir in feta cheese.


Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. What you are doing for your son's school is invaluable and all those people should be grateful for the work you do. I am in awe of the ladies that work in the PTA and spend all their free time fundraising, etc. Kudos to you.
    This is a pasta salad that is just perfect for a summer picnic or barbeque. I will be trying this one soon. Love the tortellini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a salad very similar to this only with provalone instead of feta. I love feta. I'll have to try your version with feta next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a perfect salad for me! So many colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks wonderful! i love the feta in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful salad with tortellini, I love the addition of feta! This is great for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the perfect meal for those hot summer days (that we are already having here)! Refreshing!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is loaded with goodies! I can see myself standing at the fridge eating it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure this is a great summer bbq salad! Very light yet flavourful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great salad, especially for a BBQ!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love tortellini salad! Great for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowza! I bet you are one busy momma!!!!
    Happy Mothers Day to you!
    Yummy salad

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful salad!! Perfect for Memorial Day cookout today! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. great salad hope things settle down for you Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an absolutely stellar day for warm summer nights. I really love this recipe. It really is good to have you back. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete