Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Favorite Taco Soup

This is my favorite taco soup recipe. I have looked at numerous blogs with many different recipes, that sound good but I always come back to this one. This recipe was given to me about eighteen year ago. The sad thing is I can no longer remember the name of the sweet lady that shared this recipe with me.

This soup is hearty and delish! We all enjoy this soup and I sometimes add fresh corn and green beans when I feel we need a few more veggies in our diet. It is so easy to put together and is slow simmered to perfection! Plus, I'm able to use my dutch oven ;).




Taco Soup

2 lbs of ground beef
1 garlic clove, chpped
1 small onion, chopped
1 small bell pepper, chopped
1 package taco seasoning mix, I use low sodium
1 package hidden valley ranch salad dressing mix
2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes
1 can pinto beans w/jalapenos, w/ liquid
1 can kidney beans, w/ liquid
1 can white/yellow hominy w/ liquid
1/2-1 cup beef broth, it all depends how soupy you want it

Brown meat, drain off excess fat. Add onions, bell pepper and remaining ingredients into dutch oven, mix well. Simmer slowly for an hour, stirring occasionally.

Serve with rice, corn bread, crackers, tortillas or just fritos ( my fav.). You may also garnish with grated cheese, sour cream and avocado or what ever your little heart desires =).

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. This version sounds and looks so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the perfect Texas soup! With your blessing, I'm going to add it to my file of dinners I think my family would enjoy. Thank for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fritos off to the side! Cant have Taco soup without Fritos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds excellent! And so different with Ranch dressing in it. I bet it adds a nice richness to it. So hearty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ça à l'air bien délicieux
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diana,

    Thank-you for leaving comments. That was nice of you and they were fun to read.

    Your taco soup sounds great, and are those chili cheese fritos? Those things are crack to me! I bet they're awesome in your soup.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Taco Soup".. hmm, gotta have the wife make some of that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love taco soup, one of my all-time favorites :)

    ReplyDelete