Baked Red Velvet Donuts with Cream Cheese Icing
These Baked Red Velvet Donuts with Cream Cheese Icing are seriously the best baked donuts ever. They are moist and tasty and let's not forget the cream cheese icing, omgoodness.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2.Grease doughnut pan with oil/cooking spray.
3. Assemble the dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisk together. Set dry aside.
4. In another bowl, mix together the sugar and egg. Add the melted butter and cooled melted chocolate, mix.
5. Add the vanilla and buttermilk.
6. Stir all the wet ingredients together, add food coloring.
7. Once wet ingredients are combined, gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing together until well combined.
8. Fill the doughnut pan with batter about 2/3 full.
(I poured my batter in a gallon baggie and snipped the end to squeeze into donut pan. It made less of a mess.)
9. Bake them for 15 - 20 minutes, until done.
10. Transfer to cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 box (16 oz) confectioners' sugar
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
!. Beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
3. Frost donuts and chow down!